Sunday, June 17, 2012

Week 1: The Runaway Bunny

  • Week: 1
  • Book Title: The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Clement Hurd
  • Book Cover Image:
  • Copyright 1942 by Harper & Brothers Publishers







  • Book Summary:  In this picture book a little bunny tells his mother he is going to run away.  The mother bunny replies, "If you run away, I will run after you, for you are my little bunny." The little bunny's imagination takes him places and turns him into things with his mother always following.  At the end the little bunny decides he might as well stay and be his mom's little bunny.
  • APA Reference:  Brown, M. (1942). The runaway bunny. Harper and Brothers Publishers, New York, NY.
  • My Impressions:  This is one of my favorite picture books from my childhood.  I rediscovered it when I had children.  I love the pictures, a combination of black and white as well as watercolors.  It always makes me smile when a child is reading another of Margaret Wise Brown's books Goodnight Moon  recognizes pictures from The Runaway Bunny hanging in the great green room.  This story is one of a mother's love and patience which inspires me as a mother of three.  It is a story of an adventure that ends with the comfort of home.
  • Professional Review:
    The Runaway Bunny
    by
    4.1 of 5 stars 410  ·  rating details  ·  15522 ratings  ·  344 reviews
    First published in 1942, this classic has been enjoyed by generations. Hurd has redrawn some of his original pictures for this new edition of the comforting story of a bunny's imaginary game of hide-and-seek and the lovingly steadfast mother who finds him every time. Full color.
    Hardcover, 48 pages
    Published January 18th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1942) 
    Chandler, O.  (2012, January 18). The runaway bunny. [Review of the book The Runaway Bunny, by M. Brown].  Goodreads Inc. Retrieved from goodreads.com
  • Library Uses:  In spring I might put this out with other bunny books as part of a theme collection teachers or students might check out.  I might use it at Mother's Day to jump start book marks for the library or card making and other art for students to use as gifts for their mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment